Carolina will travel north to take on the New York Giants for a Week 2 matchup at Metlife Stadium. The Panthers are coming off a season opening loss to the Cleveland Browns by a score of 26-24. Browns kicker Cade York hit a 58-yard field goal with eight seconds left to win the game.
New York won its season-opener against the Tennessee Titans 21-20. Quarterback Daniel Jones connected with fullback Chris Myarick on a one-yard touchdown pass with a minute left to defeat the Titans.
This matchup marks the 13th matchup with the Giants with the Panthers leading the series 7-5, including a 4-3 record in road games. Carolina has an all-time regular season record of 21-34 against NFC East teams (4-4 in the postseason).
- In his first game with Carolina, QB Baker Mayfield totaled 235 passing yards and one passing touchdown, while also scoring his 6th career rushing touchdown in the third quarter. Mayfield’s touchdown pass to WR Robbie Anderson was his third career touchdown throw of 75-yards or more, tied for fourth-most in the NFL since 2018.
- WR Robbie Anderson finished the game with 5 receptions for 102 yards and a touchdown. The performance marked Anderson’s first 100-yard game since 10/11/20 against Atlanta. Anderson scored his 11th career touchdown of 40+ yards, tied for 3rd most in the league behind Tyreek Hill and Tyler Lockett since entering the league in 2016.
- RB Christian McCaffrey had 14 touches for 57 yards and a touchdown in his first game since Week 12 last year at Miami (11/28/21). He scored the team’s first touchdown of the season for the third time in the last four years. It marked his 31st career rushing touchdown.
- Safety Xavier Woods led the Panthers with 10 tackles and a pass deflection in his Panthers debut. He joins Lester Towns (2000) and Brett Maxie (1995) as the only Panthers with double-digit tackles (press box stats) in a Week 1 debut with the team.
- Carolina Panthers scored 17 points in the 4th quarter for the first time since 12/13/20 vs Denver.
- Carolina had 211 net yards in the fourth quarter after managing just 50 net yards through the first three quarters.
- In 2021, Carolina went all 17 weeks without allowing a TD on the opponent’s opening drive. That streak continued on Sunday and now stands at 18 consecutive games.
About New York
- QB Daniel Jones completed 17 of 21 attempts and had 2 TDs vs. INT for 115.9 rating in Week 1. Had 90+ rating in 5 of his 6 home starts in 2021. Had TD vs. 0 INTs for 95.9 rating in last meeting.
- RB Saquon Barkley had team-high 6 catches, 194 scrimmage yards (164 rush, 30 rec.) & rush TD last week, his 4th-career game with 190+ scrimmage yards & most scrimmage yards by any player in Week 1. Has 2,112 scrimmage yards (105.6 per game) in 20 career home games. Had 129 scrimmage yards (81 rec., 48 rush) & career-high 2 rec. TDs in his only career game vs. Car. (10/7/18). Since 2018, is 1 of 6 players with 100+ scrimmage yards per game (102.5), min. 40 games.
- WR Sterling Shepard led team with 71 rec. yards, incl. 65-yard rec. TD in Week 1. Had 75 rec. yards in his only career game vs. Car. (10/7/18).
- LB Tae Crowder led team with 7 tackles in Week 1. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with 12+ tackles & TFL.
- Panthers Head Coach Matt Rhule is from New York, NY.
- Panthers DT Matt Ioannidis is from Ringoes, NJ. He played football at Hunterdon Central Regional High School.
- Panthers DB Myles Hartsfield Sayreville, NJ. He attended Sayreville War Memorial High School.
- Panthers QB PJ Walker is from Elizabeth, NJ. He played football for Elizabeth High School.
- Panthers S Sean Chandler is from Camden, NJ. He attended Brimm Medical Arts High School and played football for Camden High School.
- Giants QB Daniel Jones is from Charlotte, NC. He attended Charlotte Latin High School and went on to play football at Duke University from 2016- 2019.
- Giants DL Dexter Lawrence II is from Wake Forest, NC. He attended Wake Forest High School and went on to play football at Clemson University from 2016-2018.
- Giants CB Nick McCloud is from Rock Hill, SC. He attended South Pointe High School.
- Giants RB Antonio Williams is from New London, NC. He attended North Stanly High School and went on to play at North Carolina from 2018-2019.
- Giants OL Marcus McKethan is from Barnwell, SC. He attended Barnwell High School and went on to play football at North Carolina from 2019-2021.
- Giants OL Joshua Ezeudu played at North Carolina from 2018-2021.
- Giants OLB Tomon Fox played at North Carolina from 2017-2021.
- bGiants OL Devery Hamilton played at Duke in 2020.
Panthers vs Giants
All-Time Series: 12 total matchups | Carolina leads the series 7-5
Last Regular Season Game: 10/24/21 | Panthers 3 @ Giants 25
Series Record at Venue: Carolina is 4-3 in road games against the Giants
How to Watch
Kickoff: 1:00 p.m. ET FOX – Joe Davis, Daryl Johnston, Pam Oliver
Live Stream: Panthers.com
Radio: WRFX 99.7FM in Charlotte market; On The Call: Anish Shroff, Jake Delhomme, Luke Kuechly, Kristen Balboni, Jim Szoke