Fresh off a season-opening win over No. 10 Kentucky, ninth-ranked Duke welcomes Army West Point for the Duke Veterans Day Weekend Showcase Presented by Ameritas. Hartford and Campbell are also in the weekend field, with the Blue Devils set to face Campbell on Saturday night at Cameron Indoor.
The United States Military Academy is a program and institution that holds special meaning to Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K played for, and graduated from, Army, and later served as the program’s head coach.
- Duke opened its season on Tuesday with a 79-71 victory over Kentucky in a battle of top-10 ranked blue bloods in the State Farm Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York. With the win, Duke improved to 40-2 in season openers under Krzyzewski and has won 22 consecutive.
- In home openers under Coach K, Duke is 40-1 and has won 39 consecutive.
- Beginning with Army, Duke plays five home games over the next 10 days before a date with No. 1 Gonzaga on Friday, Nov. 26 in Las Vegas. Four days later, Duke battles No. 17 Ohio State in Columbus in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge to end the month.
- Duke was picked as the preseason favorite in the ACC, with freshman Paolo Banchero tapped the ACC’s Preseason Player and Freshman of the Year. Banchero (first team), Wendell Moore Jr. and Mark Williams (second team), were each named Preseason All-ACC.
- In home openers under Coach K, Duke is 40-1, has won 39 straight, and won by an average margin of 32.4 points. Duke’s lone home-opening setback was a 76-75 decision in double
overtime to Vanderbilt in Coach K’s second season
- Freshman Trevor Keels scored a game-high 25 points on 10-of-18 shooting with three assists and three steals in the Kentucky win. The 6-4, 221-pound physical guard from Clinton, Md., was 7-of-11 from the field in the second, scoring 16 of his 25 after the break to
help the Blue Devils hold off the Wildcats.
- Paolo Banchero scored 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting and 8-of-9 at the free throw line with seven rebounds in 32 minutes.
- The only other time in history multiple Duke freshmen scored 20+ points in their debut game was Nov. 6, 2018 vs. Kentucky when three scored 20+ (RJ Barrett had 33, Zion Williamson had 28 and Cam Reddish had 22). Keels’ 25 points were tied for the third-most by a Duke freshman in a debut game — Barrett (33), Williamson (28) and Marvin Bagley III (25) vs. Elon on Nov. 10, 2017.
- The Black Knights opened their 2021-22 campaign with an 83-52 victory over SUNY New Paltz on Tuesday night.
- Charlie Peterson led all scorers with a career-high 17 points while going 6-for-6 from the field. He tied a career-high in rebounds with a team-high eight.
- Josh Caldwell scored 14 points, grabbed six rebounds, dished out a game-high five assists and snagged two steals in 26 minutes.
- Army returns 11 letter winners, including three starters, from last season’s team
that participated in the Collegiate Basketball Tournament (CBI).
- Last season, the Black Knights went 7-7 in league play and advanced to the Patriot League Semifinals for the first time since 2016. The program’s 25 conference wins in the last three seasons are tied for the most in program history in a three-season span.
- Army was picked fourth in the 2021-22 Patriot League Preseason Poll.
- Senior Josh Caldwell, who averaged a team-leading 12.6 points per game last season, was named the 2020-21 Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year.
- Jalen Rucker, who started in 21 out of 22 games, was tabbed to the 2020-21 Patriot League All-Rookie Team while averaging 9.6 points per game.
Duke vs Army
- A program and institution that holds special meaning to head coach Mike Krzyzewski, Army West point and Duke have met 14 times with Duke leading 11-3.
- Coach K graduated from Army in 1969 and later served as its head coach from 1975-80.
- Duke has won seven straight in the series — all under Coach K.
- The Black Knights last visit to Cameron came in 2018 — a 94-72 victory behind a combined 75 points from Duke’s freshman trio of Zion Williamson (27), Cam Reddish (25) and RJ Barrett (23).
How to Watch
Time: 7:00 p.m. (ET)
TV: ACC Network (Dave O’Brien, Chris Spatola)
Stream: Watch ESPN
Radio: Blue Devils Sports Network (David Shumate, John Roth)