Carolina hits the road in Week 5, traveling to Motown to take on the NFC North-leading Detroit Lions (3-1). This will mark the Panthers second of four matchups with NFC North opponents. Carolina has a 20-23 against the NFC North in its team hisory.
All time, this will mark the 12th matchup between the two teams with Carolina leading the series 8-3. The series in Detroit is even at two games a piece.
The last game played between the two teams was Dec. 24, 2022, at Bank of America Stadium resulting in a Panthers 37-23 win. Carolina set franchise records with 570 yards of total offense and 320 yards rushing.
The Lions enter the week looking for their third-consecutive victory after defeating the Green Bay Packers on Thursday Night Football, 34-20.
Carolina enters the week with an 0-4 record after falling to the Minnesota Vikings 21-13 in Week 4.
- The Panthers 130 interception return yards against Minnesota set a franchise single-game record. The defense has now recorded an interception in three-consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 8-10 in 2021.
- Through the first four weeks of the season, Carolina’s secondary ranks in the top 10 in several categories: sixth in passing yards allowed per game (176.8), tied for ninth in passing touchdowns allowed (four), tied for seventh in interceptions (4) and 10th in opponent passer rating (83.4).
- Sam Franklin Jr. set a franchise record for the longest interception returned for a touchdown in team history against Minnesota with his 99-yard pick-six on the first drive of the game.
- Bryce Young finished week four 25-for-32 for 204 yards. His 78.1% is the highest by a Panthers quarterback since Teddy Bridgewater went 22-28 (78.6%) against the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 3 of the 2020 season. Young completed 18 consecutive passes from the second quarter into the fourth quarter, which set a new franchise record and ranks second among rookie quarterbacks in the last 45 seasons.
- Against Minnesota Terrace Marshall Jr. recorded a career-high nine receptions on the day. Adam Thielen finished with 76 yards on seven receptions marking his second consecutive game with at least 75 receiving yards for the first time since Weeks 6 and 8 of the 2021 season.
- The Lions tie for fifth in the NFL with 12 offensive touchdowns scored this season. Factoring in their pick-six in Week 1, they tie for fourth in the League with 13 overall touchdowns scored. Detroit has scored four of their 12 offensive touchdowns this season from outside the red zone (33.3%), tied for the third-most in the NFL
- The Lions’ offensive line has been steady in its protection of QB Jared Goff this season. Detroit ranks fourth in the NFL with a sack percentage of 3.6% while the League average is 10.6%. Detroit ties for the third-fewest sacks allowed in the NFL (five) while their 30 yards lost on sacks rank as the third-fewest.
- The Lions have rushed for 100-plus yards in each of the first four games this season. Since Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson took over in 2022, the Lions have produced 17 games with at least 100 rushing yards, tied for the fourth-most in the NFL.
- Detroit has only surrendered 243 rushing yards through the first four games of the season, the fewest in the NFL and their fewest since at least 1945 (when play-by-play data can be fully traced).
- Detroit’s defense ranks among the NFL’s best units when it comes to
creating negative plays. Combining the yards lost on sacks, passing and rushing plays, the Lions rank second in the NFL by causing 165 negative yards.
- Panthers T Taylor Moton is a native of Okemos, Mich., playing high school football at Okemos HS before playing college football at Western Michigan from 2012-2016.
- Panthers TE Giovanni Ricci played college football at Western Michigan from 2016-2019.
- Lions CB Steven Gilmore is a native of Rock Hill, S.C., and attended South Pointe HS.
- Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson played high school football at A.C. Reynold HS in Asheville, N.C., and played college football at North Carolina from 2004-2007.
- Lions Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs Coach Scottie Montgomery is a native of Shelby, N.C. Montgomery went on to play college football at Duke from 1996-1999 and had coaching stints with the Blue Devils from 2006-2009 and 2013-2015.
- Lions Cornerbacks Coach Dre Bly played college football at North Carolina and was on the coaching staff for the Tar Heels from 2019-2022.
- Lions Defensive Line Coach John Scott Jr. is a native of Greer, S.C., and coached at South Carolina in 2019.
- Lions CB Emmanuel Moseley is a native of Greensboro, N.C., and played high school football at Dudley HS.
- Lions DE Romeo Okwara is a native of Charlotte, N.C., playing high school football at Ardrey Kell HS.
- Lions DL Alim McNeill is a native of Raleigh, N.C., playing high school football at Sanderson HS. McNeill also played college football at North Carolina State from 2018-2020.
- Lions RB Zonovan Knight played at Southern Nash HS in Bailey, N.C. He went on to play college football at North Carolina State from 2019-2021.
- Lions WR Antoine Green played college football at North Carolina from 2018-2022.
Panthers vs Lions
All-Time Series: 11 total matchups | Carolina leads 8-3
Last Regular Season Game: 12/24/22 | Carolina 37 vs Detroit 23
Series Record at Detroit (Regular Season): Series is tied 2-2
How to Watch
Kickoff: 1:00 p.m. ET FOX – Chris Meyers – Play by Play; Daryl Johnston – Color; Pam Oliver – Sideline
Live Stream: Panthers.com
Radio: WRFX 99.7FM in Charlotte market – Anish Shroff (Play by Play), Kurt Coleman (Color), Jim Szoke (Color), Kevin Donnalley (Sideline)