Just a day after Duke Football finished there lackluster season, which included going winless in ACC play this season and having just one conference win in two seasons, new athletic director Nina King and David Cutcliffe agreed to part ways.
Coach Cutcliffe’s departure was inevitable and now there are reports that Duke is interested in one of its former assistants and alumni – George Edwards.
Edwards, who currently is a senior defensive assistant for the Dallas Cowboys, is also reportedly interested in vacancy.
Dallas local radio station 105.3 “The Fan,” which features the Jones family on its radio show weekly, had Stephen Jones (son of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones) on the show recently who confirmed the rumors.
“Jerry and I, very aware of that. …He certainly deserves the consideration.”
Duke football this season ranked dead last in the ACC in defensive total yards a game – allowing over 500 yards of total offense in every matchup from October 9th until their season finale versus Miami. If Edwards is the selection for Duke, the focus is clearly on the defensive side of the ball – an area where the Blue Devils struggled this past season.
Getting to know George Edwards:
- 4 year letterman at Duke University
- 1996 Duke football assistant coach
- 1989 All ACC Honorable mention linebacker
- 1991 Florida Gator Assistant
- 1992-95 Appalachian State Assistant
- 1997 Georgia Bulldogs Defensive line coach
- 1998 Dallas Cowboys Linebackers coach
- 2002 Washington Redskins Assistant Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers coach
- 2003 Washington Redskins Defensive Coordinator
- 2004 Cleveland Browns Linebacker coach
- 2005-09 Miami Dolphins Linebackers coach
- 2010-11 Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
- 2012-13 Miami Dolphins Linebacker coach
- 2014-19 Minnesota Vikings Defensive coordinator
- 2020- Current Dallas Cowboys Senior Defensive Coordinator