The Carolina Panthers hit the road for a Week 7 matchup against the New York Giants. After losing to Minnesota by a score of 34-28 last week, the Panthers fell to 3-3 on the season after starting the year with three-consecutive wins.
Carolina enters Week 7 with a 3-3 record for the second-straight season. The Giants have a 1-5 record this season. Last week, they were defeated by the Rams, 38-11. New York is 1-1 against NFC South teams this year (W at New Orleans, L vs. Atlanta).
About the Panthers:
- Through six games this season, the Panthers are averaging a 33:05 time of possession per game, the second highest mark in the NFL.
- The Panthers have gotten off to a fast start in each of game this season, holding a +42 point differential at halftime, the 3rd highest margin in the NFL. Carolina has tallied 73 first downs in the first-half this season, 6th most by any team. Through six games, the Panthers average a 16:38 time of possession in the first two quarters, the 4th highest average in the league.
- Carolina has rushed for eight touchdowns, which ranks tied for fourth in the league. QB Sam
Darnold has accounted for five rushing TDs (which is tied for 2nd in the NFL and 2nd among QBs), RB Chuba Hubbard has one rushing TD, TE Tommy Tremble has one rushing TD and RB Christian McCaffrey has one rushing TD.
- Carolina has held its opponents to 308.3 total yards per game this season, the 3rd fewest by any team. Opposing teams are averaging 5.24 yards per play against the Panthers, tied for the sixth lowest average in the league. Carolina has given up 16.8 first downs this season, the third fewest allowed by any team this season.
- Carolina is holding opposing QBs to a 61.3 completion percentage, which is tied for the fifth lowest in the NFL. The Panthers are allowing the second fewest passing yards per game in the NFL (196.8). Carolina has 9 players who have contributed in the sack column, tied for fourth most in the NFL.
- The Panthers have tallied four interceptions by four different players this year – CB Jaycee Horn, FS Juston Burris, LB Shaq Thompson and CB Donte Jackson. Carolina has forced six fumbles, which ranks tied for sixth in the NFL. The six players to force a fumble this season are LB Hasson Reddick, CB A.J. Bouye, LB Frankie Luvu, CB Donte Jackson, S Sean Chandler and CB Keith Taylor.
- WR DJ Moore enters Week 7 of the 2021 season tied for 5th in the NFL in receptions (40) and 7th in receiving yards (513).
- OLB Haason Reddick joined Carolina this offseason following a career-best 12.5 sacks last year with Arizona. His 6 strip sacks since the start of the 2020 season is a league best. In his first six games with the Panthers, Reddick has racked up a 6.5 sacks, 29 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 FF, 1 FR. He’s the only player in the NFL to accomplish those stats.
- CB Donte Jackson has tallied 11 career INTs since being selected by Carolina in the 2nd round (55th overall) of the 2018 Draft. His 11 picks are the most by any CB from his draft class, and tied for 1st with Steelers S Minkah Fitzpatrick. Jackson ranks tied for 3rd on the Panthers with 27 tackles in 2021 and is tied for 1st with 4 passes defensed.
About the Giants:
- QB Daniel Jones passed for 242 yards last week. Has 90+ rating in 3 of his past 4 at home. Since 2019, is 1 of 3 NFC QBs (Kyler Murray & Russell Wilson) with 900+ rush yards (903).
- RB Devontae Booker had 69 scrimmage yards (41 rush, 28 rec.) in Week 6. Aims for his 3rd in row with 50+ scrimmage yards.
- WR Sterling Shepard led team with season-high 10 receptions & 76 rec. yards last week, his 4th-career game with 10+ catches. Has 7+ catches in 3 of his past 4 at home. Had 75 rec. yards in last meeting.
- DL Leonard Williams had season-high 1.5 sacks last week & has 3 sacks in his past 4. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with sack. LB Tae Crowder had team-high 10 tackles last week & aims for his 3rd in row at home with 10+ tackles. DB Logan Ryan had PD in 3 of his past 4 & aims for his 3rd in row at home with PD. Had 10 tackles & PD in his last game vs. Car. (11/3/19 w/ Ten.). S Xavier McKinney had career-high 2 INTs in Week 6. CB James Bradberry had 2 PD in Week 6. Is 1 of 2 CBs (Trevon Diggs) with PD in each of 1st 6 games.
- The Giants have at least one takeaway in each of their first six games for the first time since 2011 (first 10). McKinney, a second-year pro, kept the streak alive last week with not one but two interceptions. He now faces quarterback Sam Darnold, who has thrown seven interceptions this season. Six have come during the Panthers’ three-game losing streak. Only Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, and Patrick Mahomes have thrown more interceptions this season.
- Left tackle Andrew Thomas had been a bright spot this season, but the second-year pro was placed on injured reserve this week. He suffered an ankle injury in the Week 6 loss to the Rams after missing two games with a foot issue. He must sit out at least three games before becoming eligible to return to the roster. The next man up is veteran Nate Solder. Matt Peart, another second-year pro, and Korey Cunningham, who was recently signed off the practice squad, are also expected to rotate at tackle.
- The past two meetings between the Giants and Panthers were decided by a last-second Graham Gano field goal – but he was wearing a Carolina jersey both times. Gano made a 43-yarder as time expired for a 38-35 Panthers victory in 2015. He then made a 63-yarder with one second remaining in a 33-31 victory over the Giants in 2018. Since he joined the Giants in 2020, Gano has made nine 50-yard field goals and needs one more to pass Joe Danelo for the most in franchise history.
- Panthers head coach Matt Rhule is a native of New York, NY, and earned a Master’s in
Educational Psychology from the University of Buffalo.
- Panthers DT DaQuan Jones is a native of Johnson City, NY and attended Johnson City
- Giants DL Dexter Lawrence is a native of Wake Forest, NC and attended Wake Forest HS.
Lawrence played his college years at Clemson from 2016-18.
- Giants QB Daniel Jones is a native of Charlotte, NC and attended Charlotte Latin. Jones spent his collegiate years at Duke from 2015-18.
- Giants OL Matt Skura played his collegiate years at Duke from 2011-15.
- Giants QB Mike Glennon played his collegiate years at NC State from 2008-11.
- Giants DB Keion Crossen is a native of Garysburg, NC and attended Northampton County HS. Crossen played his collegiate years at Western Carolina from 2014-17.
- Giants DL Raymond Johnson III is a native of Sumter, SC and attended Sumter HS.
- Giants CB James Bradberry was a 2nd round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers, where he played from 2016-19.
- Giants K Graham Gano played for the Carolina Panthers from 2012-2019.
Panthers vs Vikings:
- All-Time Series (Regular & Postseason): 11 total matchups | Carolina leads the series 7-4
- Last Regular Season Games: 10/07/18 | Giants 31 @ Panthers 33
- Series Record at Venue: Carolina is 4-2 in road games against the Giants
- Series Streak: Carolina has won the last three matchups in the series
How to Watch
Kickoff: 1:00 p.m. ET FOX: Adam Amin, Mark Schlereth, Shannon Spake
Live Stream: Panthers.com
Radio: WBT-AM 1110 AM in Charlotte market; On The Call: Mick Mixon, Jake Delhomme, Jim Szoke, Kristen Balboni