Carolina plays its final game of calendar year 2018 when they host Davidson on December 29 at Noon in the Smith Center. The Tar Heels are 23-11 in 2018, including 15-8 last season and 8-3 to begin the 2018-19 schedule. Here’s everything you need to know about the matchup.
- Carolina leads the series, 66-11, including 8-0 under head coach Roy Williams.
- UNC has out-rebounded Davidson by 113 in the last eight games.
- The teams played 67 times from 1911 to 1969, then did not play again until 11/20/2001, when Davidson won, 58-54, in Chapel Hill.
- The Tar Heels have won nine in a row since Davidson’s victory on 11/20/2001.
- The 66 wins are the ninth most by Carolina against any opponent and the most against an opponent outside the ACC.
- The last time theses two teams met was in December of last year. The Tar Heels defeated the Wildcats 85-75.
- This is Carolina’s fourth game in 31 days after opening the season playing eight times in 23 days.
Keys to the Game:
The Tar Heels are coming off a 80-72 loss to Kentucky in the CBS Sports Classic. In that contest Carolina had 18 turnovers that led to 23 Wildcat points. Kenny Williams and company will have to protect the ball and play sound defense in Saturday’s game…a trend they must carry over into conference play next week.
Players to Watch:
Davidson’s Kellan Grady and Jon Axel Gudmundsson average nearly 20 points a game each and shoot the ball well from the behind the arc. Look for them to try to get going early from three to spread the floor against a bigger and more athletic Carolina squad.
Carolina true freshman Coby White has been impressive in his first 11 games, but the point guard struggled from the field against Kentucky – going 3 for 10 from the floor and committing 4 turnovers. Look for the confident Tar Heel to get back on track this Saturday.
How to Watch:
TV: ESPN2 (Jason Benetti, Debbie Antonelli)
RADIO: Tar Heel Sports Properties (Jones Angell, Joel James)
SATELLITE RADIO: Sirius 99, XM 194, Internet 956