Carolina welcomes the Houston Texans to Bank of America Stadium after both teams were idle in Week 7.
All time, this will mark just the seventh matchup between the two teams with Carolina leading the series 4-2. While the series is tied 1-1 in games played at Carolina, the Panthers have won four consecutive games against the Texans.
The Texans enter Week 8 with a 3-3 record. Houston will play the NFC South in four-consecutive games. They lost to Atlanta in Week 5, defeated the Saints in Week 6, and will play the Buccaneers the week following their contest in Carolina.
Carolina is 0-6 entering Week 8. This will mark the first of four matchups against the AFC South.
- Through five games, defensive end Derrick Brown has tallied 30 tackles (17 solo), one sack, five QB hits and two tackles for loss. His nine tackles in Week One are the second-most he has posted in a game in his career (12 against Atlanta in Week 8 of the 2022 season). Brown’s 30 tackles through the first seven weeks ranks fifth among all defensive linemen league-wide.
- Linebacker Frankie Luvu started the season right where he left off in 2022. He was the only player league-wide in Week 1 to record at least seven tackles (three solo), one sack and three QB hits. He followed up in Week 2, becoming the only player to post at least nine tackles (four solo) and two sacks. Through six games, he leads the team with 39 total tackles.
- WR Adam Thielen has started his time with the Carolina Panthers on the right foot. Through five games, he has recorded 509 receiving yards on 49 receptions (10.4 avg.) and four touchdowns. His 38 receptions rank seventh in the league and fourth in the NFC. His 509 receiving yards also rank sixth in the NFC.
- Bryce Young, (No. 1) vs. C.J. Stroud, No.2) marks 5th game in NFL history between rookie QBs selected No. 1 & No. 2 in NFL Draft. [Lawrence-Wilson (2021); Winston-Mariota (2015); P. Manning HOF-Leaf (1998); Bledsoe-Mirer (1993)]. Young aims for his 3rd in row at home with zero interceptions & 85+ rating. He has 20+ completions in each of his first five career starts.
- Brian Burns ranks second in franchise history in sacks through a player’s first 70 games, trailing only Julius Peppers (50.5 sacks, 2002-06) with 42.0 sacks. Burns finished 2022 tied for eighth in the NFL with 12.5 sacks and tied for seventh with 17 tackles for loss.
- Quarterback CJ Stroud (2023) joined Patrick Mahomes (1,831 passing yards in
2019), Drew Brees (1,658 in 2018) and Russell Wilson (1,409 in 2019) as the only quarterbacks with at least 1,400 yards passing and zero interceptions through the first five games of a season. This season through six games, Stroud has thrown for 1,660 passing yards, marking the fourth-most in the NFL through that span.
- Rookie wide receiver Tank Dell entered the Texans record books in the Week 3 win at Jacksonville, as he led the team with five receptions for 145 yards and one touchdown, which is the most receiving yards in a single game by a rookie in franchise history.
- Linebacker Blake Cashman was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after his stellar performance in the team’s 20-13 victory over the New Orleans Saints in Week 6. Cashman finished with career highs in tackles (15), passes defensed (two) and tackles for loss (two), while also logging one quarterback hit.
- Through the first seven weeks of the season, the Texans have been efficient in converting third down opportunities, as they currently rank eighth in the NFL in third down efficiency (44.3%).
- The Texans are the only defense in the league to have not conceded a fourth-down conversion to an opponent this season.
- Panthers QB Andy Dalton is a native of Katy, Texas, and attended Katy HS. He went on to play four seasons at TCU from 2007-2010.
- Panthers DB D’Shawn Jamison is a native of Houston, Texas, and attended Lamar HS before going on to play college football at Texas from 2018-2022.
- Panthers WR Laviska Shenault Jr. is a native of DeSoto, Texas, and attended DeSoto HS.
- Panthers DT Nick Thurman is a native of Dallas, Texas, and attended Lakeland HS. He went on to play college football at Houston from 2013-2017.
- Texans S M.J. Stewart played college football at North Carolina from 2014-2017.
Panthers vs Texans
All-Time Series: 6 total matchups | Carolina leads 4-2
Last Regular Season Game: 09/23/21 | Carolina 24 vs Houston 9
Series Record at Carolina (Regular Season): Series is tied 1-1
Current Streak: Carolina has won the last four matchups
How to Watch
Kickoff: 1:00 p.m. ET FOX – Brandon Gaudin – Play by Play; Robert Smith – Color; Jen Hale – Sideline
Live Stream: Panthers.com
Radio: WRFX 99.7FM in Charlotte market – Anish Shroff (Play by Play), Kurt Coleman (Color), Jim Szoke (Color), Kevin Donnalley (Sideline)