The Tar Heels defeated Loyola Maryland, 83-67 to open the 2021-2022 basketball season. Here are notes from the win.
UNC Scoring Leader: Caleb Love 22
UNC Rebound Leader: Dawson Garcia 9
UNC Assist Leader: RJ Davis 5
Team Records: UNC 1-0, Loyola 0-1
- Hubert Davis’s Tar Heels win in his first game as head coach.
- Caleb Love scored 20-plus points for the third time as a Tar Heel. He had 25 at Duke and 20 against Wake Forest as a freshman.
- This was the seventh time Love has led UNC in scoring. He also led UNC in the season opener last year when he scored 17 against the College of Charleston.
- This was the second game in a row in which Love did not commit a turnover (also in NCAA first round vs. Wisconsin).
- Brady Manek scored 20 points. This was the 76th time he scored in double figures.
- It was the 13th time Manek has scored 20 or more points.
- RJ Davis led UNC with five assists, the second most he has handed out as a Tar Heel (eight at Iowa last season).
- Kerwin Walton had 11 points and made three three-point field goals. This was the 13th time he made at least three as a Tar Heel. UNC is 9-4 when he connects on at least three 3FGs.
- Carolina is 100-12 in season openers.
- The Tar Heels are 1-0 for the 17th consecutive season.
- This was UNC’s 20th straight home opening victory.
- Carolina is 2-0 vs. the Greyhounds. The other game was Dec. 31, 1947, in Baltimore.
Friday, November 12 vs. Brown, 9 p.m., Dean E. Smith Center, Chapel Hill (ACC Network)