The Carolina Panthers play host to the Atlanta Falcons on Thursday Night Football for a Week 8 NFC South matchup. Last week, Carolina traveled to New Orleans and lost to the Saints by a score of 27-24 – bringing its record on the season to 3-4. The Falcons enter this week following a 23-22 loss at the Detroit Lions. Detroit scored a touchdown on the final offensive play of regulation, winning the game on the extra point.
Atlanta leads the overall series between the NFC South foes with a 32-19 record against Carolina. The Panthers are 2-3 overall in games played on Thursdays, with the most recent victory coming on 11/26/15 in a Thanksgiving game at Dallas
Here’s everything you need to know about the matchcup:
By the Numbers:
The Last Meeting:
The last time these two teams met was October 19, 2020 at the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The Panthers defeated the Falcons 23-16.
Carolina quarterback Teddy Bridgewater recorded 313 passing yards, two touchdowns and a 116.2 passer rating after completing 27-of-37 attempts. Wide receivers Robby Anderson and DJ Moore combined for 205 receiving yards on 12 receptions. Anderson led the team with 113 receiving yards on eight receptions. Moore racked up 93 yards on four receptions – highlighted by a 57-yard receiving touchdown. Running back Mike Davis totaled 149 scrimmage yards (89 rushing, 60 receiving) and 1 receiving touchdown.
Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan recorded 226 yards, threw two interceptions and had a 63.6 passer rating after completing 21 of 37 attempts. Todd Gurley rushed for a season-high 121 yards and totaled 150 scrimmage yards. Calvin Ridley recorded eight receptions for 136 yards.
Players to Watch:
- Teddy Bridgewater ranks 2nd in the NFL (among qualified QBs) with a 72.2 completion percentage. His 1,676 passing yards this year rank 5th among all QBs.
- Julio Jones missed the Week 5 matchup with Carolina due to injury, but since his return in Week 6, he has recorded 16 receptions for 234 yards and two touchdowns.
- WR Robby Anderson ranks 2nd in the NFL with 640 receiving yards.
- Brian Burns has totaled 3 strip-sacks this season. His 3 forced fumbles are tied for 3rd in the league this year.
- Foye Oluokun leads the Falcons in tackles (49) and forced fumbles (3).
- Jeremy Chinn leads all 2020 rookies with 56 tackles this season.
- Todd Gurley ranks second in the NFL in rushing attempts (122), sixth in rushing yards (485), third in rushing first downs (30).
How to Watch:
TELEVISION BROADCAST: FOX (WJZY in Charlotte), NFL Network and Amazon Prime. The game will be nationally broadcast in every market.
ON THE CALL: Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Erin Andrews, Kristina Pink
ONLINE: Fans can watch games for FREE online through Panthers.com on mobile web and the Panthers’ app. This week, all users everywhere will be able to watch the nationally televised game. Links to watch will be available at the start of the game on both platforms.
LOCAL RADIO BROADCAST: WBT-AM 1110 AM in Charlotte market, click here for a full list of affiliate stations.