Approximately 5 weeks, 35 days and 840 hours stand between now and the official start of the 2015 NFL Season; But who’s counting?
For the Carolina Panthers, this span of time is also referred to as crunch time. Beginning on Friday, July 31st, the Panthers will host their first official training camp practice at Wofford College’s Gibbs Stadium. Although the facility is located in Spartanburg, South Carolina, it has been featured in Sports Illustrated and is referenced as one of the NFL’s finest training facilities. Open to the public, training camp is sure to not only get the team focused but also the fans pumped as well.
Player development is a key component to camp. Fans and players alike are present at training camp to see who has stepped it up and made changes and/or improvements to their play since the end of last season. Overall, after an 8-9-1 finish last season, the Panthers’ organization is preparing for a more prosperous and successful season.
When it comes to offense, most will certainly have their eyes on Cam Newton, of course. In addition to Newton’s imperative position, sights are also set on individuals such as Michael Oher, who will provide stability on Newton’s “blindside” and Kelvin Benjamin, Newton’s top receiver. Also, with a second round draft pick in Devin Funchess, the Panthers are discovering ways to improve their “middle-of-the-pack” offense. All in all, Newton now possesses a total of three 6’4” and taller receivers; something that can undoubtedly lead to their success on the offensive side of the ball.
For the 2014 season, the Panthers possessed the top ranked defense. With players like Luke Kuechly, a former NFL Rookie and Player of the year, on the roster, it is a title they desire to defend. To help them do so, the Panthers also have Shaq Thompson to use. With outstanding athleticism and versatility, the Panthers can use his all-around physique to create an even more dominant defensive line than ever before.
Overall, training camp is no different than any other year. Fans come out to get a glimpse of what is in store for the season and players find their focus. It is said that there are only two times in the year; actual football season and when you’re waiting for football season. Alas, training camp will absolutely be a final tease.
- The Carolina Panthers 2015 training camp will be July 31-August 20 at Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C.
- All training camp practices are free and open to the public with each practice session lasting about two hours.
- Practice times and lengths are subject to change without notice.
- Free parking is available on campus adjacent to Gibbs Stadium via Cummings Street or Twitty Street.
- July 31 – First practice at Wofford College
- August 7 – Fan Fest at Bank of America Stadium
- August 14 – Preseason begins
- August 20 – Training camp ends
- September 1 – Roster cutdown to 75 players
- September 5 – Roster cutdown to 53 players
- September 13 – Regular season begins