The Charlotte Ritz Carlton has reached an agreement with the District Attorney and CIAA Athletic Conference to refund customers who were assessed a 15% service charge for food and drinks ordered in their lounge during February’s CIAA Tournament.
The Ritz also agreed to the following terms:
- Notify customers of special service charges in the menu and have servers remind customers in the future.
- Donate $75,000 to the CIAA Scholarship Fund.
- Pay the N.C. Department of Justice $5,000 for consumer protection efforts.
If you would like to receive a refund from the Ritz for a service charge paid during the CIAA tournament these are the steps:
- File a consumer complaint with the Consumer Protection Division online at ncdoj.gov or call 877-5-NO-SCAM toll-free within North Carolina to request a complaint form in the mail.
- Send a letter requesting a refund to: Consumer Protection, Attorney General’s Office, Mail Service Center 9001, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001 and include a copy of the bill, credit card or bank statement or some record indicating the amount of service charge paid.
Despite reaching an agreement to refund customers, the Ritz denies acting unlawfully.
H/T: Charlotte Observer